When I worked at Sewards (Electrical) Ltd, one of our best selling products was Omar loudspeakers.
Omar Skinner & Sons was a loudspeaker manufacturer based at Warfield Park, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG42 3RG.
In the late 1970s, the man that ran the business was the knowledgeable and amiable Peter Thompson.
Some of the Omar loudspeaker range
These were floor standing loudspeakers that came with four castor wheels. At the time, these were the top of the range Omar loudspeakers and we used to use the to demonstrate many different hi-fi separates systems.
The Goring was the best seller and was designed as a shelf/bookshelf speaker.
- Generally, these speakers were available in either teak or walnut finishes.
- Omar was perceived as a direct competitor for the more widely distributed Wharfedale loudspeakers.
- To my knowledge, Omar only made loudspeakers. A number of the speaker drivers they used were the same as those used by KEF.
- I don’t know the date of the demise of Omar Skinner.
- High fidelity (often shortened to hi-fi or hifi) is a term used by listeners, audiophiles and home audio enthusiasts to refer to high-quality reproduction of sound. This is in contrast to the lower quality sound produced by inexpensive audio equipment, or the inferior quality of sound reproduction that can be heard in recordings made until the late 1940s.
If we are being true to the goal of seeking higher fidelity, then an ideal loudspeaker should have no “sound” at all. In other words, it should be completely transparent, an open door to the musical performance. An accurate speaker’s role is to replicate—precisely—the sounds of musical instruments or voices exactly as they were present in the original source recording. The speaker shouldn’t add any sound of its own—it shouldn’t make strings and violins sound screechy or edgy, nor should it artificially add bass emphasis to male singers’ voices so they sound too bassy or “fat” (a common fault of many speakers).Source: https://www.axiomaudio.com/
Incoming search terms:
- omar hidi speakers
- british speaker manufacturers bracknell
- omar wendover
- speakers omar